- If I smell gas, what do I do?
If you smell gas call the Gas Networks Ireland 24 hour emergency line immediately 1850 205050. If you are unable to get through to this number then please call 112or 999.
- Don’t smoke or use naked flame
- Don’t unplug or switch anything electrical on or off
- Never assume somebody else has reported the smell
- Ensure gas appliances are turned off and have not been left on and unlit
- If the smell persists, close the gas valve at the meter (if safe to do so).
- Open windows and doors
To learn more click here.
- Gas Emergency Contact Numbers
ROI Emergency Gas Number: 0850 20 50 50
- Gas escape procedure
IF YOU SMELL GAS, IT MUST BE REPORTED AND DEALT WITH IMMEDIATELY
Immediate action to be taken:
- Ensure gas appliances are turned off and have not been left on and unlit.
- Do not smoke or use a naked flame.
- Do not unplug or switch anything electrical on or off.
- Ventilate the area by opening windows and doors.
- If the smell persists turn off the gas meter, by doing the following;
- Make sure all gas appliances are turned off.
- Locate the shut off valve; this is usually fitted outside the meter box, beneath it, or to the side.
- Turn the valve to the ‘off’ position, so that the lever is at a right angle to the pipe.
- If the valve is hard to reach or will not operate call Bord Gáis Networks (BGN) on 1850 200 694 using a phone away from the immediate area of the leak.
- If you have a large gas installation, do not attempt to turn off the gas yourself. Call BGN on 1850 200 694 immediately.
- Once the valve has been turned off, call the 24 hour BGN Emergency line 1850 20 50 50, using a phone away from the immediate area of the leak.
- If you are unable to get through on the Emergency number, call 999.
- Immediate access to the premises may be required by the Network owner.
- Information that should be reported
1. Customer’s name, address and telephone number.
2. Where the smell of gas is most noticeable.
3. When the smell of gas was first noticed.
4. Whether the gas has been turned off.
5. Is there any smell of gas outside?
6. Are there any special instructions for access?
- Telephone Helpline
A freephone national gas emergency service is operated 24 hours a day. If you are at all concerned about a gas leak, call 1850 20 50 50 in ROI and 0800 002 001 in Northern Ireland.
The call will not cost you anything. It is operated 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. All calls are recorded and may be monitored.
You will be put through to a trained operator, who will log all important details, which will then be dispatched to an engineer. It is important that you give accurate information, so that you can be given the right gas safety advice.
The information given above applies regardless of your gas supplier.
- Gas Safety
1. Do not use any gas appliances that you think may have a fault
2. Ensure that all gas appliances are serviced at least once a year by a member of
RGII: www.rgii.ie for ROI and by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer for Northern Ireland http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help/check_an_engineer.aspx
3. Ensure that all ventilation grilles and outside flues are never covered or blocked.
4. Fit a carbon monoxide detector
5. Be aware of the position of your gas meter and mains valve.
6. Ensure that the 24-hour emergency line number is in a visible place.
- Carbon Monoxide
If any of your gas appliances are faulty, they may produce carbon monoxide. This is a dangerous by product of natural gas. It is colourless and odourless.
Gas flames should be blue. If your appliances are burning orange or yellow there could be carbon monoxide present. If in doubt, you should have the appliances checked by a member of RGII: www.rgii.ie.
For more information on Carbon Monoxide please visit www.carbonmonoxide.ie
In ROI for further information on carbon monoxide or to arrange a safety inspection please call: 1850 79 79 79. The carbon monoxide phone line is open Monday – Friday, 8am-9pm and Saturday 9am-5pm.
Northern Ireland customers should contact the local emergency phone number 0800 002 001 if you are concerned about a carbon monoxide related incident.